Global Health and Disability
An online course on Global health and disability is set to commence later this month.
Leaving no one behind: disability, health and well being in global development is a 3 week (maximum 4 hours per week) free online course from the International Centre for Evidence in Disability at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine Course. It starts 26th February 2018. The course features key global leaders in disability and many testimonials and videos from people with disabilities from around the world. It argues strongly for the inclusion of people with disabilities in development. It is suited to anyone with an interest in health and disability, from low or high income settings, and should take up about 2-3 hours per week for 3 weeks.
Why join the course:
Around 15% of the world’s population, or 1 billion people, live with some form of disability, with numbers continuing to rise over the coming decades. People with disabilities are often overlooked in national and international development, and can face widespread barriers in accessing services, including health and rehabilitation services, even though simple initiatives are available to enable access. Our three week course aims to raise awareness about the importance of health and well-being of people with disabilities in the context of the global development agenda: Leaving no one behind.
What topics will you cover?
• The magnitude of disability and relevance of disability to the
global development agenda
• Defining disability and how it can be understood and measured
• The challenges to health and wellbeing amongst people with
disabilities and why people with disabilities might have poorer health
• Why people with disabilities may have difficulty in accessing health services
• Links among longer term health conditions and disability
• How to improve access to health care and rehabilitation for people
• Community based inclusive development for improving access to health
and rehabilitation for people with disabilities
For more details, to check out the trailer or to register your free
place on the course, click here